I just saw this position sheet, and thought I would post it for all of the people who have not yet seen it.
Issues Important to the LGBT Community
- As both Auditor General and Treasurer, Bob Casey implemented an employment nondiscrimination policy that prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation. He was also the first statewide elected official in Pennsylvania to add gender identity to his office non-discrimination policy. At the federal level, Bob Casey supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) that would prohibit employment discrimination based on sexual orien ation.
- Bob Casey supports the federal Local Law Enforcement Enhancement Act that would expand the federal Hate Crimes law to cover crimes motivated by sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Bob Casey supports civil unions and allowing domestic partner benefits for all couples in committed-long term relationships.
- Bob Casey supports a change to the federal tax code that will allow domestic partners who receive employer-provided health benefits to be treated the same as spouses under federal tax law. Under current law, married employees who enroll their spouse in their company’s health care plan do no have to pay taxes on their employer’s contribution. Same-sex couples must pay taxes on this benefit.
- Bob Casey supports extending to domestic partners of federal employees the same benefits received by spouses of federal employees.
- Bob Casey supports treating domestic partners the same as spouses under immigration law. Legislation introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy would allow someone to sponsor their permanent partner for legal residency in the U.S.
- Bob Casey opposes discrimination during the adoption process and opposes excluding same-sex couples from adopting. The adoption process is very rigorous and designed to screen out those individuals who are not qualified to be adoptive parents. Bob Casey believes the child’s best interest should be the most important factor in any custody decision.
- Bob Casey is concerned by political tactics that are used to breed division, hostility and intolerance. That is one reason why he opposes efforts to pass an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would ban same-sex marriage.
- Bob Casey supports expanding federal funding for HIV/AIDS programs in the U.S. Bob Casey will work for increased funding for the Ryan White CARE Act that provides health care, housing, and other community-based HIV/AIDS services.
- Bob Casey also supports expanding U.S. support for international HIV/AIDS relief.
Paid for and authorized by the Bob Casey for Pennsylvania Committee
What do you think?